Saturday, December 27, 2014

a lil sidenote

Well the holidays have past, they were wonderful spent time with family.  I got to thinking I havent even touched on the !ost life changing part, the diabetes.  That was a questioon I was asked from the time the ER nurse seen me first til my first shot of insulin.  I had never even thought about it.  The symptoms are tired, extreme thirst, frequent urination.  The first two I could say that most of the people I knew were diabetic.  Working in kitchens you get hot and tired and thirsty.  I really never noticed if I was frequently urinating.  After diagnosis lots of people came to me with well I thought you drank alot, or you always seemed so tired.  I did ignore lots of signs on my health but I never picked up on the diabetes.  About 7 or 8 yrs ago I started losing weight rather quickly.  I thought I understood the reasons.  But I did decide to change my eating habits, by eating a little healthier and such.  I never thought I would hear Diabetes. This disease is very misunderstood and one persons diabetes is not the same as someone elses.  Pricking your fingers waiting even holding your breath til that 5 seconds is up hoping your number is low.

You never realize how much you love something until you cant have it anymore.  But I have learned to make substitutions and you learn to love it after awhile.  I do have it a little easier than most I only take one shot in the  morning before breakfast and I just watch what I eat throughout the day.  Right now I dont get much exercise, but once I get mobile I should be able to burn more glucose.  I dont want to be one of those people that think " well I can eat anything I want because I take insulin" I am sure  this is my life so I am trying to make the best of it.  As a kind of a self proclaimed foodie this has become quite the interesting experiment.  I read all labels now and it really is disgusting the amount of sugar thatis added to food to make it more pallatable.  I mean freaking vegetables with added sugar get real.  So I have quiyt smoking, eating sugar i still indulgre in sugar free things but all things in moderation.  Again, I urge anyone reading this that you pay close attention to your body and take care of yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Joey, you are AMAZING! i told you of my mother and her BTK loss. You have shown that it CAN be done! Your wording shows your realness... and strength

    ReplyDelete